ILLES MEDES + ESTARTIT
Crossing the Bay of Roses we see the imposing Montgrí Massif, a hill that resembles the figure of a sleeping bishop whose toes seem to want to test the temperature of the waters of the Mediterranean, and then we reach the coast of L’Escala, passing by Cala Montgó and visiting the Foradada cave, then going down to the viewing pods of the catamaran for a submarine view in the Medes Islands Nature Park.
Having viewed the seabed, we go on to the town of L’Estartit, where we make a 90-minute stop to go to the weekly market or stroll freely around this tourist town.
+ INFORMATION: The Medes Islands archipelago lies a little over a kilometre from the coast of L’Estartit and belongs to the municipality of Torroella de Montgrí, in the Baix Empordà region in the north-east of Catalonia. The archipelago came under full official protection in 1992 and consists of two main islands, five large islets and a few smaller ones, and its total surface area is 21.5 square kilometres. Geologically, the Medes Islands are a continuation of the Montgrí massif and form part of the Nature Park of the Montgrí, the Medes Islands and the Lower Ter, one of the most important spaces of natural interest in the Mediterranean and a great reserve of marine fauna and flora. The only construction in the archipelago is the now uninhabited lighthouse of the main island, La Meda Gran, which is now uninhabited.
The Medes Islands have always been a point of interest, as is revealed by the remains of shipwrecks found in their waters. Pirates used them as a base for their raids on coastal towns, and they were a place of military and strategic importance from the Middle Ages until the late 19th century, even being inhabited until 1934.